The National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic supports mobility of international students, PhD students, university teachers, researchers and artists for scholarship stays at higher education institutions and research organisations in Slovakia.
The Government of the Slovak Republic approved the establishment of the National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic for the support of mobility of students, PhD students, university teachers, researchers and artists in 2005. The National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic (NSP) is funded by the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic.
Aim and Benefits of Slovak Government Postgraduate Scholarship
The scholarship is intended to cover international scholarship holders’ living costs, i.e. the costs related to staying in Slovakia (food, accommodation, etc.), during their study, research/artistic or teaching stay at universities and in research organisations in Slovakia. The scholarship holder can ask for assistance concerning accommodation and formalities related to entering and staying in the territory of the Slovak Republic either his/her host institution, or he/she can handle all the necessities him-/herself.
Duration of Award: When planning your scholarship stay, the following applies:
Beginning of the scholarship stay:
- students: the earliest date of the beginning of the stay is 1 September 2021; the latest date of the beginning of the stay is 1 April 2022
- PhD students, university teachers, researchers and artists: the earliest date of the beginning of the stay is 1 September 2021; the latest date of the beginning of the stay is 31 August 2022
Completionof the scholarship stay:
- students: the latest date of the completion of the stay is 31 August 2022
- PhD students, university teachers, researchers and artists: the latest date of the completion of the stay is 30 November 2022
Requirements for Slovak Government Postgraduate Scholarship Qualification
Eligible applicants for a scholarship in the framework of the NSP:
- are university students at universities outside Slovakia;
- are students of the second level of higher education (master’s students), or are students who at the time of application deadline have already completed at least 2.5 years of their university studies in the same study programme;
- will be on a study stay in Slovakia during their higher education outside Slovakia and who will be accepted by a public, private or state university in Slovakia for an academic mobility1 to study in Slovakia.
All 3 conditions must be met. This category does not apply to doctoral (PhD) studies (or their equivalent).
- Duration of a scholarship stay (students): 1 – 2 full semesters (i.e. 4 – 5 or 9 – 10 months) or full 1 – 3 trimesters, in case the academic year is divided into trimesters (i.e. 3 – 4 or 6 – 7 or 9 – 10 months).
PhD students whose higher education or scientific training takes place outside Slovakia and who are accepted by a public, private or state university or a research institution in Slovakia eligible to carry out a doctoral study programme2 (e.g. the Slovak Academy of Sciences) for an academic mobility1 to study/conduct research/artistic stay in Slovakia.
- Duration of a scholarship stay (PhD students): 1 – 10 months.
International university teachers, researchers and artists who are invited to a teaching/research/artistic stay in Slovakia by an institution with a valid certificate of eligibility to carry out research and development, which is not a business company3 and it has its seat in Slovakia.
- Duration of a scholarship stay (university teachers, researchers or artists): 1 – 10 months.
Interview date, Process and Venue for Slovak Government Postgraduate Scholarship
The administrator will assess whether the applications meet the formal requirements of the programme on the day of the application deadline. The administrator may reject applications for formal reasons:
- if they are in conflict with the terms of the programme (in particular regarding the eligibility of applicants or scholarship holders, or in absence of an appropriate category of support), or
- if the application or its annexes do not meet the formal requirements, or
- if the facts presented in the application and its annexes are in conflict with each other, or
- if the administrator in the reviewing process finds out that the applicant’s statements confirming that the information is complete, true and correct are not true.
The Committee focuses mostly on:
- reasons, why the applicant has decided to study, teach, conduct research or artistic activities in the respective host institution in Slovakia;
- programme of applicant’s study/research/artistic/teaching stay and how the applicant will use the results of his/her scholarship stay for further studies or research activities, or his/her career development;
- applicant’s professional and personal qualities; as well as assessment of the proposed programme of the scholarship stay in the recommendation letters;
- study or research achievements;
- contribution for the host institution;
- overall quality of the submitted application.
Documents Required for Application
- curriculum vitae;
- motivation letter;
- detailed study programme
- two recommendation letters issued by applicant’s university teachers
- confirmation issued by the applicant’s home university confirming that the applicant is a regular student of the respective university at the time of applying
- scan of applicant’s bachelor’s diploma, diploma supplement and state examination certificate (if applicable);
- admission/invitation letter issued by applicant’s host university in Slovakia indicating the period of stay
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Slovak Government Scholarships on www.scholarships.sk to apply
Scholarship applications are submitted online at www.scholarships.sk. Online application system is opened at least 6 weeks prior to the application deadline. Applications can be filled in only in case that the online application system has already been opened.
For more details, visit NSP website
April 30, 2021