The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Administrative Assistant
Job ID: 37147
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – PROJECT ADMINISTRATION
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
The West Africa Competitiveness Programme (WACP) implemented by ITC is part of the West Africa Competitiveness Programme (WESCOMP) formulated under the framework of the European Union (EU) Regional Indicative Programme (RIP) of the 11th European Development Fund (EDF), The programme aims to create decent jobs and fight poverty by strengthening the competitiveness of West African countries and enhancing their integration into the regional and international trading system.
WESCOMP consists of a regional component for the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and country components.
The EU has entrusted ITC with the implementation of the regional component of WACP together with UNIDO. Through direct contracting from the EU to ITC, ITC will implement a total budget of €5,885,000 under the regional programme with the following outputs:
- Output 1.3: Regional level – Better regional linkages among selected value chain actors promoted and key regional intermediary organizations supported.
- Output 2.2: Regional level – Regional policy and framework to improve industrial competitiveness are harmonized, formulated and monitored.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Improve the performance, growth and contribution to industry, regional trade and exports of selected value chains.
- Improve the climate for business at national and regional levels.
- Support organization of events, trainings and workshops including preparation of budgets, booking of meeting facilities and other services.
- Support procurement of materials, equipment and services: requests for quotations, preparation of procurement documents, budgets, reception of goods.
- Prepare grant MOU documents and manage agreement and signature processes;
- Facilitate other partnership agreements under the project;
- Provide inputs for project newsletter and other communication materials;
- Keep records of project commitments including Grant MOUs, procurement, imprest account.
- Keep and manage project files.
- Prepare meeting minutes.
- Keep records of project beneficiaries and partners and facilitate related CRM functions;
- Ensure mail correspondence with project stakeholders, draft and manage incoming and outgoing correspondence and official communications;
- Manage services and material required by the project office; maintain inventories.
- Set up structures for financial operations and budget monitoring tools.
- Develop financial monitoring and reporting templates.
- Assist in the preparation of project budgets in accordance to work plans.
- Monitor the implementation of grant MOU budgets including expenditure tracking against results and budget categories.
- Manage and file receipts and carry out field visits.
- Prepare regular financial reports against the project budget and results framework based on the inputs from stakeholders, project manager and chief technical advisor.
- Provide training and capacity building support for implementing partners.
- Report on the use of the imprest account / petty cash.
- Undertake any other tasks assigned by the Supervisor in support of efficient implementation of the project.
- Prepare and assist with communication coordination of upcoming workshops and trainings.
- Design and produce multimedia communication assets (short stories, videos and other required Public Information Material) capturing the project’s results in order to advocate and disseminate these through different communication channels (social media, newsletter, reports) across relevant stakeholders, partners and beneficiaries.
- Conduct field trips to meet beneficiaries of the project in order to gather compelling visual and written content (interviews, pictures and video footage) capturing the project’s impact.
- Generate social media messages for internal communications in order to feed personal accounts for project events ensuring media outreach on ITC WACOMP programme achievements.
- Liaise with ECOWAS and UNIDO communication teams for joint communication outreach.
Key Results Expected:
- Well planned and timed project activities.
- Timely availability of inputs and resources for project interventions.
- Accurate and timely provision of financial information.
- Efficient flow of funds in the field.
Impact of Results:
- Achievement of delivery targets and results as outlined in the project work plans.
- Efficient and accurate financial monitoring.
- Effective national capacity building of national stakeholders and beneficiaries by the project.
- Good communication and positive image of the project in ECOWAS.
- ITC’S VALUES are: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity.
- ITC’S CORE COMPETENCIES are: Communication, Teamwork, Planning & Organizing, Accountability, Creativity, Client Orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Technological awareness.
- ITC’S MANAGERIAL COMPETENCIES are: Vision, Leadership, Empowering Others, Managing Performance, Building Trust, and Judgment/Decision making. For further information on competency-based interview please visit: www.intracen.org.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in teams.
- Ability to identify priority activities and assignments; adjust priorities as required.
- Ability to work with accuracy under time constraints and pressure in a stressful environment; with patience, tactfulness, maintain confidentiality, take initiative and exercise good judgment.
- Ability to plan own work and use time efficiently, manage conflicting priorities and work under pressure of tight and conflicting deadline.
- Proven knowledge of financial management systems.
- Demonstrated track record in project management including financial monitoring.
- Good result-based management skills.
- Excellent drafting and communication skills.
- Excellent IT skills with MS Office suite and particularly.
- Prior working with a UN organization and familiarity with the UN operational systems is a plus.
- Understanding of public and private skills development institutions and trade support institutions in ECOWAS and their mandates is a plus.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum requirement of SSCE with 5 years experience OR A Bachelor’s degree in a related field with 2 years experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of challenges to trade development.
- Very good understanding of public institutions in West Africa and their mandates as well as of private sector needs and expectations.
- Very good understanding of project result-based management and coordination.
- Proven leadership, advocacy and management skills and ability to operate in multi-stakeholder contexts.
- A track-record of successfully implementing projects.
- Excellent drafting and communication skills.
- Knowledge of the UN system and procedures or experience of EU-related projects would be an asset.
- Advanced English with excellent written and oral communication skills is essential.
- French knowledge would be an important asset.
- Knowledge of local languages is a plus.
Application Closing Date
12th May, 2021 (Midnight New York, USA).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important applicant information:
- All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement.
- We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Amplifying Opportunities, Changing Lives