- Salary Offered: N400,000 - N600,000
- Jobs by States: Borno
- Career Level: Mid-Senior level
- Experience: Fresh
- Gender: Both
- Industry: NGO / Non-Profit Associations
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale, is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations.
Context and background
Since the declaration of state of emergency in the Nigerian federal States of Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa, the escalation of the Boko Haram insurgency has led to multiple displacement crises, with communities fleeing their area of origin to take refuge in camps or host communities. In 2014 there was a substantial increase in violence related to Boko Haram and the counter insurgency operations, consequently creating acute and largely unmet humanitarian needs, as IDPs are cut off from their homes and livelihoods, basic services, kinship and social ties. In September 2014, COOPI began operating in north eastern Nigeria in response to the humanitarian crisis caused by the insurgency, established its operation in Bauchi State and later expanded to Yobe State considering the heightened presence of IDPs in the LGAs of Fika, Damaturu, Potiskum, Geidam and Yunusari.
The Programme Coordinator (PC) is the focal point of COOPI’s program in the North East of Nigeria. In consultation with the Head of Mission, he/she formulates the strategy for the Nigerian mission and ensures it implementation in accordance with COOPI policies, donor expectation, local and international legislation. He/she coordinates and evaluates all aspects of the COOPI projects, and facilitates the flow of information from the field to the capital. The Programme Coordinator also plays a strategic role for COOPI’s external relationships, liaising with donors and stakeholders in collaboration with the HoM. Specifically, he/she:
Coordinates and supervises the program country strategy implementation
- Contributing to the design and update of the country strategy by providing inputs to the Head of Mission.
- Visiting COOPI field activities regularly and reporting on problems, challenges and obstacles while building an intimate knowledge of fieldwork realities
- Ensuring the monitoring and evaluation of the program including the identification of needs and gaps
- Monitoring and reviewing the security status of the area(s) of operation on a regular basis, liaising as applicable with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN or other relevant security bodies and keeping the Head of Mission updated on relevant developments.
Coordinates the overall implementation of the projects
- Ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget and according to COOPI and donors’ procedures
- Taking preventative and corrective action when necessary.
- Ensuring the overall planning and follow-up of technical reporting for donors, authorities and internal requirements in coordination with the support departments.
- Ensuring synergy between Technical and Support services
- Ensuring the implementation of recommendations resulting from internal audit, experts’ field visits, HQ advisors etc.
- Piloting the internal quality control, by promoting monitoring mechanisms (ex: self-evaluation tool), facilitating internal control and external evaluations
Represents and liaises for operational strategy and program to donors, authorities, UN, NGOs in link with the head of Mission
- Developing and maintaining relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) and representing COOPI at relevant state level meetings (e.g. state and local government, sector-coordination and security) in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
- Strengthening field and capital level information-sharing with IOs, NGOs and Government
- Contributing to the identification of potential funding opportunities
Analyzes Humanitarian needs and response
- Collecting, summarizing and analyzing information from external sources and from technical advisors for future opportunities
- Supporting the project team for proposals writing (narrative and financial) to address the identified needs.
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience in project formulation, implementation and coordination in the humanitarian context with International NGOs
- Experience in working with different Donors (ECHO, USAID, UN agencies etc.)
- Strong managerial skills.
- Good knowledge of humanitarian standard and background (ex. Sphere standard)
- Good report writing skills;
- Good knowledge and use of the English Language;
- Proactive aptitude in terms of planning and coordination with different bodies, institutions and Reference Points;
- Target oriented and problem-solving aptitude;
- Good leadership skills, aimed at managing and motivating a team;
- Positive ability to bear stressful and complicated situations;
- Diplomatic and confidentiality skills;
- Advanced IT skills
- Previous experience in the Region is an asset.
- University degree relevant subject (post graduate degree required).
- This is a Non-Family Duty post.
- Salary and other conditions are based on COOPI’s salary grid.
Amplifying Opportunities, Changing Lives