Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims.
Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Mental Health Activity Manager
Location: Abakaliki, Ebonyi
Contract Period: Indefinite
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Defining, coordinating and monitoring all mental health related activities in the project area including management of staff, ensuring the quality of care and analysing statistics and reports, according to MSF protocols in order to provide the most appropriate support for patients.
- In close collaboration with other medical team members, identifying the needs of MH support in the target population and participating in the definition, planning, organization and update of the appropriate MSF strategy and the Mental Health (MH) activities and its budget. Monitoring and evaluating MH support activities
- Reviewing and developing the technical materials, tools, guidelines and documents, and coordinating and ensuring the implementation of all Mental Health standard protocols and procedures set by MSF in order to provide the most appropriate treatment for patients.
- Coordinating and ensuring that Mental Health activities (in and outside health facilities), with the clients are performed with regular follow-up in order to provide the most appropriate treatment for clients with psychosocial problems. Ensuring Mental Health team is calm and neutral during sessions regardless of personal feelings and/or beliefs and that the translators are trained about terminology and appropriate behaviour during sessions
- Mapping and regularly updating the existing Mental Health services, including other INGO’s, local NGO’s, community groups and governmental health services, etc. and maintaining good and regular communication and collaboration with other components of the project according to objectives and context. Identifying possible advocacy issues and informing MC and PC before taking any action. (Note: Advocacy is not under Mental Health Activities Manager accountabilities).
- Coordinating and ensuring that Mental Health activities (in and outside health facilities), with the clients are performed with regular follow-up in order to provide the most appropriate treatment for clients with psychosocial problems. Ensuring Mental Health team is calm and neutral during sessions regardless of personal feelings and/or beliefs and that the translators are trained about terminology and appropriate behaviour during sessions.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities:
- Participate in data collection and data entry related to operational research activities in the project
- To collaborate with the AE-FUTHA Mental Health department for capacity building of the AE-FUTHA staff.
- To identify and plan for options for handover (e.g. task shifting)
- To participate in operational research activities according to the defined agenda for the project.
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- Degree / Master’s Degree in Psychology or Social Works or MD degree with specialization in psychiatry.
- Essential working experience of at least two (2) years as psychologist or other similar profession
- Desirable two (2) years working experience with MSF or other NGOs
- Desirable working experience in viral haemorrhagic fever context.
- English Language essential. Igbo Language desirable.
Application Closing Date
25th May, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application, including Cover Letter, Resume and copy of relevant Certificates and NYSC certificate / Exemption Letters to: Msfocb-Ebonyifirstname.lastname@example.org
Submit the Hard copy at:
MSF Belgium Human Resources Office,
Plot D33 Liberation Estate (after the Enugu / Abakaliki express),
Abakaliki, Ebonyi State.
In the body of the mail, please indicate the following in the format as seen below:
- Current location
- Languages you speak
- Years of relevant experience
- NYSC status.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.
- This vacancy is Open to all residents of Nigeria.
- Only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview; MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application.
Amplifying Opportunities, Changing Lives