- Jobs by States: Borno
- Career Level: Not applicable
- Experience: 1 - 2 Years
- Gender: Both
- Industry: NGO / Non-Profit Associations
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
Desired start date: 24/03/2021**
Duration of the mission:** 6 months (renewal if funds available)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
ABOUT THE MISSION
The insurgency in North East Nigeria has affected millions of lives in Nigeria and SI is answering the needs of displaced populations and host communities in Borno State since 2016. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH, shelter, logistics, food security and livelihood. Nine programs are currently running: EuropeAid, OFDA, ECHO, CDC, WFP, UNICEF as well as several NHF funded programs.
Due to the deterioration of the situation in North West Nigeria (natural disasters, displacements triggered by violence that could cause a nutritional / food crisis), SI led an exploratory mission in Zamfara state in November 2020 and started activities in Anka LGA in December 2020. A base has been opened and a team recruited to sustain the presence and carried out activities funded by on-going Emergency grants. The batch of activities are similar to the activities implemented in the N-E but in a different working environment.
Mission: size, bases, budget, number of expatriates and national staffs.
Currently, the mission coordination is settled in Maiduguri (N-E) and activities are implemented trough 4 operational bases: Maiduguri, Dikwa, Ngala and Monguno. A liaison office in Abuja, where the Country Director is often present, allows the coordination with donors, national authorities, and Abuja-based NGOs.
The NW Log Admin Manager is based in Abuja will support the team based in Gusau, capital of Zamfara State. The team includes an expatriate Field Coordinator, a Project Manager, Support function Managers as well as the program and support teams.
There are currently 20 expatriates in the mission and about 200 national staffs. The overall budget of the mission is about 9 million Euros expected to increase in 2021.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Log Admin Manager is directly in charge of all logistics and administrative support to the programs in NW Nigeria.
Under the management of the Area Coo for North West, and the functional supervision of the HR, Financial and the Logistics Coordinator, the Lo carries out HR, administrative, accounting, financial and logistics management of SI in the NW, in compliance with donor and Solidarites International procedures.
The Gusau team is currently composed of an expatriate FC, a dep FC, a Project Manager, Regional Logistics and Administrative Manager as well as the program and support team.
Multiple donors have been approached and have shown interest in SI positioning in the NW. As a result, while current funding in NW are rather low, outlooks and development are interesting with some proposals at final stage of validation with a focus on Wash response, FSL activities and Emergency flexible capacities.
The Mission is currently in consortium with Intersos to ensure protection activities are integrated in SI activities.
Local State authorities are involved in SI activities and other Local partners are to be considered.
The security context is highly sensitive in NWN with the presence of active banditry, local community conflicts and activism of armed groups. Security is one of the main challenge and constraints for implementation.
The general objectives of the position will be to Remotely manage the Gusau / Zamfara administrative and logistics personnel; Ensure that administrative and logistics reports are made and sent to the coordination in a timely manner; Supervise all the administrative management of personnel (including recruitment/drafting contracts/personnel files/training need analysis and planning/update the project organization chart/…); Manage the base’s cash-flow, Supervise the upkeep and security of safes and cash-boxes, in coordination with the Field Coordinator and Admin Assistant based in Gusau; Update and analyze budget follow up; Supervise the planning and execution of maintenance and repair work on project vehicles and equipments, in coordination with the Log Assistant based in Gusau; in coordination with the Field Coo and the Log Assistant based in Gusau, establish vehicle movement schedules; manage the procurement process in the project accordingly with Solidarités International procedures and those from donors funding the programs; Ensure material is stored under suitable conditions and monitor expiration dates and inventory follow up are respecting the SI rules; Implement team safety measures as determined by the coordination team, in coordination with the Field Coordinator based in Gusau.
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Manage his/her base’s cash-flow and ensure that banks and cash boxes are well supplied, in coordination with the Admin Assistant based in Gusau
- Supervise the upkeep and security of safes and cash-boxes, in coordination with the Field Coordinator based in Gusau
- Carry out a purchasing environment analysis at the local level, in coordination with the Log Assistant based in Gusau
- Ensure that all the procurement files are complete and archived
Specific skills and experience:
Besides usual Field Coordinator competences, this position makes necessary to have a large degree of autonomy, a good strategic positioning and an extensive experience and interest in access and security management as well as project overall management. Knowledge of Si’s rules, tools and procedures is an advantage.
- Previous experience in team management (including expatriates in support and program functions) and strategic orientation
- Experience in remote management of teams and activities is an asset
- Experience in security management in unstable environments
- Experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts, preferably with experience in supporting emergency response
- Experience in project design and writing for donors as well as in data analysis (quantitative and qualitative information from primary and secondary sources) and report writing
- Minimum of 2 years administrative and logistics management experience in humanitarian relief contexts
- Demonstrated knowledge of administrative and logistics procedures
- Demonstrated previous experience in remote management
- Team management and supervision experience
- Previous experience in the Nigerian context is major advantage
- Previous experience in SI is an asset
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Strong Coordination and diplomacy skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong management and training skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, working knowledge of spread sheet and database management.
- Knowledge of SAGA and Homere is mandatory.
Soft skills and spirit:
- Strong initiative with solid organizational and communication skills
- Stress management skills
- Ability to work well within a team
- Strong capacity of adaptation, ideally from working/living in a developing country
- Ability to live in insecure environments
- Problem solving skills
- Fluent English is mandatory
- A second language within Arabic and French is an asset
SI WILL OFFER YOU
Salary: According to experience, starting from EUR 1980 gross per month (EUR 1800 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly)
Monthly Per Diem: USD 600
SI covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of residence and the mission.
- 1 break of 7 working days every 3 months
- 1 day off per worked month.
These days off, as well as the breaks, are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary: they are offered by SI.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package, which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Please note that this is an expatriate position.
The position will be based Abuja, with possible visit in NW Nigeria and under certain conditions, flash visit in Gusau.
The living conditions in Abuja are comfortable even if the COVID situation could temporarily decreased the possibilities for social gathering.
In North West, SI is currently finalizing the search for a new office and guesthouse.
Security context is challenging in both North East (Borno) and North West (Zamfara), Nigeria, justifying specific arrangements in terms of movements to the field.
How to apply
Please send us your CV AND Cover letter in English via this link: https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?i….
Please bear in mind that we receive a high volume of applications, which means it can take us a few weeks to get in touch with you.
If you are shortlisted, please not that SI’s recruitment process usually includes an HR interview, reference checks, written test, and technical interview.
Eventually, please note that the vacancy may close before the deadline.
If you have not made up your mind yet, check our website.