Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarships

Spread the love:

For information on application procedures for a Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship, contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulates General in your country or the institution of higher education in which you wish to enroll. No application fees are charged. Be aware that organizations or individuals who charge application fees or deposits have no relation with the Japanese Government. Thank you for your attention.

As can be seen in the chart below, there are six types of Japanese government-sponsored scholarships available under the Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship program: those for research students, teacher training students, undergraduate university students, Japanese studies students, college of technology students, special training students.

Those wishing to apply for a scholarship should meet one of the criteria listed below:

  • Recommended by a Japanese embassy or consulate general (Embassy Recommendation).
  • Recommended by the Japanese university which will accept you (University Recommendation).
  • Selected by the Japanese university in which you are currently enrolled if you are a privately-financed student already studying in Japan (Domestic Selection).

Japanese Government Scholarships and Their Content 
(Fiscal 2019)

Research studentTeacher training studentUndergraduate studentJapanese studies studentCollege of technology studentSpecial training college student
Level of studiesGraduate school levelUndergraduate level
Eligibility requirementUniversity or college graduateUniversity, college graduate or equivalentSecondary school graduate or equivalentUniversity student (undergraduate level)Graduates of secondary schools or equivalent
Age limit (at time of granting)Under 35At least 17 and under 25At least 18 and under 30At least 17 and under 25
DurationMaximum 2 years including Japanese-language trainingMaximum 1 year 6 months including Japanese-language training5 years including Japanese-language training (7 years for medicine, dentistry, pharmacy and veterinary science)One academic year4 years including Japanese-language training(4 and a half years for merchant marines studies)3 years including Japanese-language training
Preliminary Japanese-language training6 months (54 universities such as Hokkaido University)
Those with sufficient Japanese proficiency are not required to go through preliminary Japanese- language training.
1 year
(Tokyo University of Foreign Studies and Osaka University)
None1 year
(Independent Administrative Institution: Japan Student Services Organization, Tokyo Japanese Lanugage Education Center)
1 year
(Bunka Institute of Language, Independent Administrative Institution: Japan Student Services Organization, Osaka Japanese Lanugage Education Center)
Fields of studyMajor in field of specialty at a graduate schoolSpecial training at a teacher training departmentUndergraduate educationJapanese language or special training related to JapanThird year college of technology coursesPost secondary courses
Designated countriesWorldwide (168 countries and regions)Developing countries, etc. (64 countries and regions)Worldwide (100 countries and regions)Worldwide (74 countries and regions)Developing countries (40 countries and regions)Developing countries, etc. (49 countries and regions)
Planned number of new scholarship recipients4,042 people89 people460 people190 people86 people90 people
Scholarship stipend¥143,000~148,000 per month¥117,000~120,000 per month
TuitionTuition for national universities and Institute of National College of Technology waived; tuition for public and private universities paid for by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
Travel allowanceRoundtrip fare (air ticket) provided
Embassy recommendationYesYesYesYesYesYes
University recommendation (overseas application)YesNoNoYesNoNo
University recommendation (local acceptance)YesNoYes (For the final only)NoNoNo
Examination QuestionsClick hereClick hereClick hereClick here

Examinations required for Embassy recommendation

Research studentsJapanese, English (only applicants)
Teacher training studentsJapanese and English (Both for reference purposes)
Undergraduate studentsJapanese , English, mathematics and science (Only science faculty examinees are required to choose two out of the following three subjects: chemistry, physics or biology)
Japanese studies studentsJapanese
College of technology studentsJapanese , English,mathematics and physics or chemistry
Special training college studentsJapanese ,English and mathematics

Click here to apply

Share and Enjoy !

0 0
Spread the love:

Related Blogs