The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) in the UK is offering the Commonwealth Shared Scholarships for ‘MSc Public Health for Eye Care’ in 2019.
The Scholarships are intended to enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development. The purpose of the scholarship scheme is to contribute to development needs of lower income Commonwealth countries by providing training for skilled and qualified professionals and academics who would not otherwise be able to study in the UK.
This year, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is offering nine awards under the CSSS ‘Strengthening health systems and capacity’ theme for MSc Public Health for Eye Care programme. These scholarships are jointly funded by the UK government and the School.
Worth of Award
Each scholarship award will provide:
- MSc Public Health for Eye Care tuition fees (at the overseas fee rate)
- GBP 1,330.00 monthly maintenance stipend
- GBP 421.00 warm clothing allowance
- GBP 200.00 study travel grant
- GBP 225.00 thesis grant
- CSCUK-approved airfare from the student’s home country to the United Kingdom, and return home at the end of the award
- Visa and associated costs (including Tuberculosis test fees, when required by UK Visas & Immigration)
- Excess baggage allowance for return home
- be a citizen of or be granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country*, or be a British Protected Person, and
- be permanently and continually resident in an eligible Commonwealth country*, and
- be available to start your academic studies in the UK at the start of the 2019-20 academic year (September 2019), and
- hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) standard, or a lower second class level plus a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree) by October 2019 **, and
- be sufficiently fluent in English to pursue their proposed course of study and meet the School’s English language proficiency requirements at the time of application, and
- not have studied for one academic year or more in a high-income country, and
- not have worked for one year or more in a high-income country, and
- confirm in writing (via CSCUK application) that neither they nor their families would otherwise be able to pay for study in the UK, and
- confirm in writing (via CSCUK application) that they will return to their home country within one month of the end of their award.
- * Eligible Commonwealth countries: Bangladesh, Cameroon, Eswatini, The Gambia, Ghana, Guyana, India, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Samoa, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Uganda, Vanuata, Zambia
How to Apply
To apply for this funding, applicants must
- submit a complete application for study for 2019-20 MSc Public Health for Eye Care, and
- submit a complete CSSS application for funding via the CSCUK’s online application form
Deadline: Applications close 16.00 (GMT) on March 14 2019